The Environmental Health, Pandemic Preparedness, and Catastrophic Response Team at NACCHO has announced two new summer internship openings. These internships will provide students the opportunity to learn about the U.S. public health system and the vital role of the 2,800 local health departments that NACCHO represents. NACCHO’s mission is to be a leader, partner, catalyst, and voice for local health departments in order to improve the quality and length of all lives, and students can play a vital role in achieving that mission.
About the Internships: NACCHO is looking for two students with skills and interest in environmental health, public health preparedness, and/or communications. Both undergraduate and graduate students are eligible to apply for this paid opportunity that is offered for 20 hours per week for up to 12 weeks (typically May/June through August). NACCHO is seeking students with backgrounds in the following areas: oral and written communications; graphic design or publication development; and subject matter knowledge or experience in environmental health or preparedness and research.
Benefits of Interning at NACCHO: A summer internship at NACCHO means learning about national-level policy and program development just blocks from the White House in Washington, DC. NACCHO reaches nearly every American through our membership of 2,800 local health departments that work each day to improve the health of communities across the country. Students will have the unique opportunity for a national-level learning opportunity with a local feel and focus and may also:
- Interact with NACCHO membership from across the country by participating in workgroup conference calls;
- Write issue briefs, research reports, blog posts, stories from the field, and other materials to share resources with and promote the work of local health departments across the country;
- Research subject matter areas of interest and learn how national-level issues like climate change, radiation preparedness, or pandemic influenza planning are implemented at the local level;
- Meet passionate and experienced professionals who have worked in the public health practice arena for several years;
- Experience a vibrant office-life community that is buzzing with new ideas for innovation in public health practice and dedicated staff members;
- Gain hands-on work experience that can directly supplement academic coursework in journalism, communications, environmental sciences, environmental health, public health, and emergency preparedness, among other areas; and
- Grow personally and professionally through mentoring and challenging assignments.
Share this opportunity with driven and capable students in your communities and encourage them to apply. NACCHO is committed to developing the next generation of public health leaders, and we need your help to share this message and spread the word. Apply online at NACCHO’s website by clicking here. Please apply to only one internship posting.