- This event has passed.
International Course in Applied Epidemiology
September 28, 2015 - October 23, 2015
This basic course in epidemiology is directed at public health professionals from countries other than the United States. Its content includes presentations and discussions of epidemiologic principles, basic statistical analysis, public health surveillance, field investigations, surveys and sampling, and discussions of the epidemiologic aspects of current major public health problems in international health. Included are s mall group discussions of epidemiologic case exercises based on field investigations. Participants are encouraged to give a short presentation reviewing some epidemiologic data from their own country. Computer training using Epi-Info, a software program developed at CDC and WHO for epidemiologists is included. Register by July 31.
Prerequisites: Familiarity with the vocabulary and principles of basic epidemiology, or completion of CDC’s “Principles of Applied Epidemiology” home-study course or equivalent. Preference will be given to applicants whose work involves priority public health problems in international health.
– Epidemiologic principles and basic statistical analysis
– Public Health surveillance, Field Investigations
– Causation, Screening
– Surveys and sampling
– Epidemiologic aspects of current problems in international health
– Epidemiologic problems, discussed in small groups, based on actual field investigations
– Presentations by participants of epidemiologic data from their own countries
– Computer training in the use of a software program, Epi Info (windows version), developed at CDC and
– WHO for epidemiologists, that combines word processing, data management, analysis, and graphics
– Presentations on the organization and work of the CDC in International Health
Registration Fee: $,3400; $350 deposit required/ Covers tuition, lab use, materials and supplies. Recommended and required textbooks are not included in this fee. Housing at Villa International or any other hotel and other expenses are also not included in this fee.
Dates and Location: Sept. 28 – Oct. 23. Emory University, Atlanta.